IAN McKELLEN BROKE DOWN IN TEARS OVER 'HOBBIT' GREEN SCREEN SCENES

November 20, 2012, 9:42 am Ben Arnold

Sir Ian McKellen has said that he cried with frustration over filming scenes for Peter Jackson's new "Hobbit" film with a green screen instead of with other actors.

Related Video: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" trailer

The actor, who has played Gandalf since Jackson's first "Lord of the Rings" film, became upset after he had to perform the scenes with only pictures of his other cast-mates.

"In order to shoot the dwarves and a large Gandalf, we couldn't be in the same set. All I had for company was 13 photographs of the dwarves on top of stands with little lights - whoever's talking flashes up," he told Contact Music.

"Pretending you're with 13 other people when you're on your own, it stretches your technical ability to the absolute limits.

"I cried, actually. I cried. Then I said out loud, 'This is not why I became an actor'. Unfortunately the microphone was on and the whole studio heard."

McKellan as Gandalf 'alongside' the dwarves in "The Hobbit". Credit: Roadshow Films

McKellen is currently on the publicity tour for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," the first in three films to be made from Tolkien's book.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" hits local cinemas on December 26.

Ben Arnold writes for Yahoo! Movies UK & IE

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

14 Comments

1. Simon08:16pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Looking forward to watching the movie this Christmas. I hope it's as big and as amazing as the Lord of the rings series.

2. Wes07:55pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

This whole movie series is gay

3. Andy Warstar07:21pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

JeffK, stop being so gay. besides, gay, which once meant 'happy', now means 'silly'. so calm down and chill with your gayness, bro bra.

4. alienconcepts07:10pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

invent your own employment then, whinger

5. manda06:52pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I'm sick of the over use of CGI too Sir Ian. I know what yo feel mate. Hollywood has traded cheap computer imagery over beautiful sets and costumes and animatronic models and locations.

6. Joe06:39pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yes Phillip and Tim and My. Sir Ian McKellan is gay. And extremely talented. And hugely successful. And very, very rich! So what does that leave you with?

7. JeffK03:50pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I imagined there were laws against uttering comments like those that are posted here! Cant Yahoo do something to keep their websites clear of earsling?

8. Tim03:05pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Sounds gay

9. MOCK02:37pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

His part will not be all monologue, he needs to pretend to interact with people who are physically not there. Reacting to facial ques and body language from bits of paper and lights is confusing and frickin' hard stuff! I'm sure he'll manage to pull it off though, he is an amazing actor. Technology has changed dramatically since he started acting which can be very daunting.

Find Session Times