HUGH JACKMAN EXPLAINS WHY HE TURNED DOWN BOND

February 20, 2013, 10:39 am

Hugh Jackman has talked for the first time about turning down the offer to play James Bond....

Hugh Jackman at the Golden Globes. Photo: Getty Images.

The star of 'X-Men' and 'Les Miserables' revealed back in 2011 that he was approached to play the iconic British spy.

“I got a call from my agent saying, 'There's some possible interest in you for Bond, are you interested?'” he said at the time.

“At the time, I wasn't. I was about to shoot 'X-Men 2' and Wolverine had become this thing in my life. But I think every male at some point thinks about playing Bond. So it was not right then, but it may be right if it comes back.”Now he's explained why he didn't go for the role.“I thought it would box me in too much,” Jackman told the Hollywood Reporter. “My natural instinct is to keep as many doors open as possible.”Jackman has previously joked that Daniel Craig could still leave the role open for him, however.“I will just wait. The thing about Daniel is that he's, what, 62 now, isn't he? He's falling apart at the seams,” he joked.

“So I just keep telling him, 'I'm ready, whenever you want to let him go'. The good thing is I also have a British passport.”

GALLERY: STARS WHO ALMOST PLAYED FAMOUS ROLES

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

12 Comments

1. Mohamed01:43pm Friday 22nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

he will come out one day, but its better for him to stick with his wife than some bloke

2. Ugnisaet11:03am Friday 22nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

What is this story about gay recruiting or a bond movie or both, back in the dark room with you queers shoosh now

3. joyce k05:47pm Thursday 21st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Bond, GAY Bond he would be.........................LMFAO

4. Glib05:27pm Thursday 21st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Hugh Jackman is totally overrated. He's just a hyped-up dweeb.

5. Nell04:52am Thursday 21st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

It was never offered to him. He was only briefly considered for it. Turns out it doesn't matter what he would have decided. A memo was leaked stating the production company concluded he was too effeminate. Why is he talking about this NOW?

6. LP06:39pm Wednesday 20th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

DG looks like a Bond villain.

7. James02:47pm Wednesday 20th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

#$%$ jackman no way should always been an englishman roll..

1 Reply
  8. Kerry-Lee02:21pm Wednesday 20th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Get rid of Daniel Craig, he is pathetic as James Bond, he's has no idea on how to play James Bond, they made James Bond too fashionable instead of cool, savy and clever, Hugh Jackman is perfect for the role.

1 Reply
  9. AJ02:17pm Wednesday 20th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I Like Jackman's movies. He's a class act and would make an excellent Bond. Good luck to him in his choices.

10. John says02:12pm Wednesday 20th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

The first Aussie Bond was a total flop - but Hugh would be pretty cool, he's got all it takes and a whole lot more besides. Go for it when the time's right mate!

Find Session Times